On January 1st, I set a goal to lose 20 pounds by the end of March. As I mentioned in Saturday’s post, I realized several weeks ago that I wasn’t on track to make that goal. I wasn’t disappointed at all because my progress was steady, and I’m not really all about deadlines anyway. My clean eating lifestyle is just that – a lifestyle – so if it takes me a couple extra months to get to my “happy weight” then that’s fine by me.
That being said, I do still want to make progress. This past couple of weeks, my weight loss discipline has started to wane. I’ve been doing a lot of mindless snacking when I’m not hungry, and while it’s always on clean foods, it’s definitely hindering my efforts. So, I decided to initiate a plan in order to finish strong through my original goal date. I’m throwing out the number of pounds goal and instead just focusing completely on sticking to the guidelines of my challenge. I’ll make as much progress as I can, and then celebrate whatever results I see in the end!! Sounds good, eh?
So, here are the deets:
- eat only clean foods
- don’t eat after dinner unless I’m truly hungry
- eat five (six if needed) meals each day
- drink 80 ounces of water each day
- drink at least 12 ounces of green tea every day (b/c it’s so dang good for you, not b/c of the weight loss rumors:)
- only clean drinks
- no snacking in between planned meals/snacks
- 2-3 healthy fat servings each day
- at least 4 servings of vegetables each day
- take vitamins/supplements every day
- no Kashi go lean cereal
Tuesday: cardio – 40 – 60 minutes including at least 20 minutes intervals
Thursday: cardio – 40-60 minutes including at least 20 minutes intervals
Saturday: cardio – 40-60 minutes including at least 20 minutes intervals
- Work on not beating myself up when I slip up
- Work on not feeling guilty about illegitimate things
- Focus on today and not the future
- Exfoliate my face every 3 days
- Use my white strips
Honestly, I love challenges. I’m excited to get back to the basics. Keep in mind a couple of things, though. First of all, I already do most of the items listed under “eating” and “workout” so it’s not quite as strenuous as it may appear. I put those things on the list still so they’ll be fresh on my mind. The key things I need to really change and improve on are the water intake (I’ve been slacking), the eating after dinner, the mindless snacking and the ahem, crack Kashi issue. As far as workouts go, I just need to be more diligent about writing down my specific workouts and making sure I’m getting the weight training in. And, regarding “other goals,” well, I pretty much am terrible at all of those things as of now, so I’ve got some serious work to do there. Second of all, I don’t advocate guidelines that are this rigid for extended periods of time. I’m all about moderation and including indulgences in life, but I’m also all about giving it all I’ve got for short periods of time, and really finding out what I am capable of!
I’d love to invite you to join me in this challenge or create one of your own! Sometimes we just need some inspiration and fresh goals to motivate ourselves. Let me know if you are doing a challenge as well. I’ll be updating my progress, daily, on the “20 day challenge” page, so check for updates there. I’ve taken measurements, so that I can check for progress at the end, however, I’ve also written down some thoughts on how I’ve been feeling mentally and physically, so that I can chart progress that way as well. If you’re interested, you can check those out on the “20 day challenge” page as well.
Well, that’s all for tonight. The challenge starts today and ends on March 13th, which is the day that Jon and I leave for our Dallas getaway…yea!
Met almost all of my goals for today -
- Didn’t snack at all between meals – yea! Big accomplishment as compared to yesterday.
- Didn’t get all my water in
- Didn’t get all my healthy fats in – this is usually easy for me, but for some reason today it just didn’t happen. I don’t usually even have to questions if I ate enough nut butter, avocado, nuts or olive oil, so I didn’t even think about not having eaten them until it was time for bed. Guess I’ll have to really pay more attention tomorrow.
- Didn’t exercise – score! ha:)
- I did exfoliate this morning, but I totally forgot the white strips. Dang.
Things are going well, and I’m feeling really good and really confident about the challenge.
This is when things started to go haywire. See this post. Let’s resume with day 9!
It felt great to be back on track today. I met every one of my goals except for the green tea. I just didn’t have time to work it in around the water. I didn’t eat any unplanned snacks, drank all of my water, got in my servings of fruits/vegetables and definitely got my healthy fats in – avocado in my green monster this morning and almond butter on a brown rice cake with banana for a snack!
I got home from work a little bit late today, so I decided to just do the Jillian Michael’s level 2 workout instead of going to the gym. It killed me! I hadn’t done that workout in quite some time, and I’m definitely feeling it. My arms and legs feel like lead. If you haven’t ever tried the 30 day shred by JM, you should definitely check it out.
Yea! for a day back on track.
Not the best day ever, but not the worst either.
- eat only clean foods – check!
- don’t eat after dinner unless I’m truly hungry – because I ate a little too much before and at dinner, I didn’t have room to add anything after:)
- eat five (six if needed) meals each day – def. got those in
- drink 80 ounces of water each day – check!
- drink at least 12 ounces of green tea every day (b/c it’s so dang good for you, not b/c of the weight loss rumors:) – check!
- only clean drinks – check!
- no snacking in between planned meals/snacks – oops. that’s all i have to say. at least they were all clean, right?
- 2-3 healthy fat servings each day – check!
- at least 4 servings of vegetables each day – check!
- take vitamins/supplements every day – no check:(
- no Kashi go lean cereal – check!
I didn’t workout today because I switched my day off. See this post.
Great! Great! Great!
Let’s list the things I didn’t do, since they’re in the minority.
- didn’t drink green tea.
- didn’t use white strips.
I’ll take it;)
Workout went great. Did a quick 3.5 miles as a first training run for our tentative half marathon in April.
No Responses to “20 day challenge”
- 20 day challenge..what what!|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] 20 day challenge [...]
- back to business|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] 20 day challenge [...]