Spring really came in with a bang today! The temperature dropped about 45 degrees and it’s been like a blizzard for the last 12 hours.
Mom and Dad McCoy left at about 11am this morning. We had a great time having them visit. Yesterday we hit up almost every bargain store in our little city (the McCoy’s love a good bargain!), ate some Mexican food for dinner, grabbed Orange Leaf for dessert, then topped the night off by playing a good couple hours of Wii.
Sorry for the iPhone photos! I ordered enchiladas with spinach and mushrooms and verde sauce on top (subbed for the cheese sauce). I ate one of these enchiladas and most of the rice and beans. I try to not usually order rice and beans with my meal, but for some reason I decided to splurge. They were pretty good, but probably not worth it. O’well. I also had about half a basket of chips. Dang tortilla chips – almost always get the best of me. Little know fact – chips and salsa is my all time favorite food!
This pic does NOT do my yogurt justice. Next time I’ll have to cart my dslr into Orange Leaf. I had the non dairy Pineapple yogurt. For toppings I added strawberries, blueberries, cashews and one each of a piece of snickers, brownie and reeses. I figure that’s the wonder of self serve yogurt shops – you can get the teeniest amount – too bad you can’t do that at all restaurants!
So, I’ve basically spent the entire day sitting on the couch with Olive and Jon watching the snow fall out the window and working on a combination of work stuff and blogging. We did take a little break earlier to catch up on 3 episodes of LOST – which were awesome by the way. It has been a glorious second to last day out of school. I’m really bad about dreading going back to work so much that I let it taint my time off work. Yes, I realize this is ridiculous, and it’s something I’m really working on. I’ve been okay today, though.
Oh, and somehow I forgot to mention that I’ve kind of been eating all day as well. It’s one of those days where I just keep finding myself snacking. I think it mainly has to do with being cooped up inside all day with bad weather. Here’s a quick recap of my eats so far today:
Breakfast was 1/3 cup of oats cooked for a minute and half in 3/4 cup water. I added about half a container of soy yogurt on top with a bit of cashew butter and a sprinkle of granola. Yum! I absolutely die over cold yogurt on hot oats.
Next up was lunch – a new concoction that I like to call Veggie-tel (veggies+rotel, kind of corny I know:)
To make Veggie-tel
- Sautee brussel sprouts and carrots in a bit of Evoo and garlic
- Meanwhile cook 1 cup of bulgur
- Add one can of rotel tomatoes + half an onion chopped in big chunks
- Add one can of chickpeas (rinsed to eliminate extra sodium)
- Simmer veggie/rotel concoction over medium heat
- When almost all the water has cooked off the bulgur, dump the entire pot of bulgur into veggie mixture
- Last, add your favorite spices (which for me is ground red pepper) and a couple handfuls of fresh spinach
- Heat through until spinach is wilted
- Serve with chopped avocado on top!
I loved this meal!! It is so fun to me to just throw together my favorite ingredients- i.e. rotel, brussels and chickpeas – and create a fabulous meal!
While watching LOST a couple hours later I may have eaten a couple handfuls of M&Ms, which I seriously regretted about 30 minutes later because my stomach was not agreeing. I don’t know why I do that sometimes. It’s like I just get in a zone and eat mindless things that I know are not going to make me feel good. Live and learn I guess.
Does this ever happen to you? I have gotten a lot better about not beating myself up over such instances, but I still regret them. How do you avoid/deal with times when you mindlessly eat foods that basically just make you feel like crap? Do you think this is something that can be overcome? Or is it something that as humans we will always deal with?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic, and I hope everyone has a great Saturday evening! Jon and I are going to rent a couple of movies me thinks – maybe Precious or Time Traveler’s Wife? Maybe both? We shall see!
other posts you might enjoy...
3 Responses to “happy 1st day of Spring! ha!”
- eatin’ cheap|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] today was leftover Veggie-tel and an [...]
- Mexican Fiesta Pasta|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] of a repeat. I love taking leftover for lunch, so when I have a large batch of something, such ...
- 2010: a look back|ChiaSeedMe - [...] that week we celebrated the first day of spring with a huge blizzard and a visit from mom and ...