Last day before back to work! I think I’ve come to terms with it over the last couple of days. I was reading a little of my new Self Magazine today, and there were some suggestions for making days less stressful that hit home with me, so I thought I’d share.
1. Recognize the opportunity for fun/pleasure – don’t automatically expect work tasks/assignments to be stressful and not fun. View projects as a chance for exploration and a chance to create something.
This one is big for me. I have to use creativity a lot with teaching. I often dread having to create lesson plans because I expect it to be difficult and not enjoyable. It’s all about changing your perspective.
2. “There is no such thing as ‘guilty pleasure,’ it’s all just pleasure (Wish*)” – Take a break to do something you enjoy several times a day…and don’t feel guilty about it! The time spent recharging will give you energy to tackle tasks with excitement.
For me this would be blogging or reading for pleasure. I sometimes feel guilty for taking time to do those things because I feel that I should be working on school stuff of cleaning up the house/doing laundry etc. Take time to RELAX!
3. “Make a concerted effort to note how much went right, regardless of how humble those triumphs may appear (Wish*)” – When you start paying attention to and focusing on the things (no matter how small) that went right in a day, you automatically will feel less negative.
I was reading through an old journal today and came across a period where I had written down daily things that had happened that brought me joy. I did it on a day-to-day basis, listing specific events or moments of that day. It was inspiring for me to read even today! I am a person who sometimes has to make an effort to focus on the positive, and I think this is a great way to do that.
Here is my list for today:
- slept in (didn’t have to wake up to an alarm)
- went to Panera with Jon to have a quiet time with the Lord
- saw the little guy I used to nanny for
- took an hour nap
- got to spend the whole day with Jon
- wore a new dress
I’d love to hear your list of joyful/positive things!!
little O at the pond the other day (before the big snow!)
*LeslieBeth Wish, Ed. D