Hey hey everyone! How’s it going? As promised yesterday, I have a newbie and an oldie recipe for you!
First up is Couscous Salad
- 1.5 cup couscous, uncooked
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1.5- 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed
- 1.5 can low sodium corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 chopped avocado
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add couscous. Remove from heat and cover.
- Chop bell pepper, onion and scallions and set aside
- Whisk together oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, and cumin in a large bowl
- After couscous has sat for 5-10 minutes, fluff well with a fork and transfer sauce in bowl
- Add black beans, corn, bell pepper, chopped onion, scallions, cilantro, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well
- Add chopped avocado just before serving
recipe adapted from here
This salad is great chilled, but can also be served hot. I made this recipe for my family Easter gathering, and I brought home a couple servings worth of leftovers. So, if you’re making it for one, you may want to half this recipe. I love having leftovers on hand, though. I took a bowl of this for lunch today, and it was filling as a meal too!
You guys have got to try this – I absolutely loved it and so did my fam!
Next up is my version of Averie’s Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
This was actually my second time to make these, but I altered a couple of things from the last batch, and I think they turned out even better!
one ripe banana, mashed
1.5 cup oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup natural pb
1 scoop of Jay Robb Brown Rice Protein Powder (or protein powder of your choice)
3 tbsp sliced almonds
2 tbsp whole flaxseed
2 tbsp chia seeds
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mash banana in a large bowl
Combine the rest of the ingredients a few at a time and mix well
Place saran wrap in 8×8 pan (Averie’s idea:)
Press mixture into pan with hands
Cut bars right away – I cut mine into 16 squares
I think these bars are best served right out of the freezer, but you can eat them any way you like! As you can tell these are quite calorie dense, but they are so sweet and delicious that one small square is satisfying! After freezing mine, I took them out of the dish and wrapped them individually. Instant portion control! I was so happy because these were a total hit with my family. Usually they aren’t too keen on my concoctions, but I think they really loved these. Score!
My eats today were pretty basic. For some reason I wasn’t that hungry today. I sipped on my green smoothie throughout the morning, whereas I usually finish it on my drive to work. I even took the last bit of it to lunch with me. As mentioned earlier I also had leftover couscous salad for lunch.
I also packed all of this!
Whole soy yogurt and sliced almonds/dried cranberries (my favorite!)
So, I actually didn’t end up eating the kiwi or the carrots because I just didn’t need it. It’s sitting in my fridge at work, waiting to be eaten tomorrow! I don’t think I’ll be able to resist it tomorrow – I love kiwi!
Dinner tonight was Whichwich. We just didn’t feel like cooking – we both had a lot to do tonight and wanted to just chill out and skip kitchen duty. So, Whichwich it was!
Tomato and avocado on whole wheat with lettuce, pickles, pepperoncini, mushrooms, bell pepper and onion – my fave!
Well, it’s getting pretty late and I still want to go out for a walk with Jon and Olive. Our walks are always the highlight of my day! I think we may have some storms coming in though, so off I go! See you guys tomorrow!
Btw, I do have some potential developments in the works regarding this post. I’ll update as soon as I can! Please keep your fingers crossed for me:)
other posts you might enjoy...
4 Responses to “couscous salad and today’s eats”
- under the weather|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] was easy as well – leftover Summery Couscous Salad with steamed [...]
- hap-bee halloween!|ChiaSeedMe - [...] Summery Fall Couscous Salad [...]