As I mentioned a few days ago, I have been craving savory breakfasts! I used to live on oatmeal, yogurt or cereal for my early morning meal, but lately the sweets just aren’t doin’ it for me.
On my way home from piyo this morning (and admittedly a bit during) I started brainstorming breakfast. I knew I wanted something savory, but I wasn’t really feeling eggs. I contemplated hummus and toast…and then suddenly it hit me.
I think I first got the idea for savory oats from Angela. But honestly, I really didn’t think I could go there. “There “meaning…to a world where we mix things like black beans and veggies with oats. So, if you feel repulsed by this idea (ahem, Jon), don’t worry. One day you’ll find yourself pondering what to eat for breakfast, and boom, it’ll hit you too. Maybe:)
I immediately went to work. First, I sauteed some swiss chard and corn in a skillet with garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper.
Next I mixed up some humnut sauce by combining a couple tablespoons of hummus with about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast and some water for thinning.
Meanwhile, I cooked 1/3 cup of oats in 3/4 cup of water for a minute and thirty seconds in the micro. Watch ‘em closely so they don’t overflow!
Lastly, I mixed the humnut sauce in with the oats, which created a cheesy, creamy consistency. It was at this point that I started feeling pretty dang good about this recipe:) mmmmm.
Once the chard and corn were finished, I laid them on top of the cheesy oats….and sprinkled on some chia seeds!
Barely able to contain herself next to the creamy oaty goodness:)
After our little photo shoot, I took my first bite and….
it was fantastic! But still missing something.
How about some homemade salsa?
While savory oats aren’t my favorite breakfast ever, I definitely will be making them again and trying new variations! If you’re having trouble with the whole idea, just think of the oats as a grain rather than a breakfast food. You wouldn’t think twice about adding humnut sauce and greens to bulgur or quinoa, would you?
Before I go, I’d like to say a huge thank you to my sweet blog friend, Heather from Where’s the Beach, for passing on the Fabulous Sugar Doll Blogger award.
The rules of this award are to tell 10 little known facts about myself and pass it on to three to five other bloggers. So, here goes!
1. I learned to ride a bike when I was 3 (no training wheels!)
2. I used a pacifier until I was 4…get the picture?
3. I played basketball from the age of 5 to 18
4 I am obsessed with anything that has birds on it
5. I flew in an airplane for the first time when I was 20 years old
6. I am a clean fanatic. I absolutely hate being dirty. worked out great in Thailand:)
7. I am a chapstick fiend. As my husband says “you are obsessively freaky about it”
8. I changed my major five times in college
9. I love rainy days more than sunny days
10. I never get tired of spending time with my husband
I pass this award on to
Sarah at Gluten Free Tries Vegan
Sarah is one of my very favorite blog friends…if you haven’t visited her blog…go NOW!
What do you think about savory oats? Can you “just not go there?” Or is your mouth watering just thinking about them?
Tonight Jon and I received a special visitor who will be staying with us until Sunday. Can you guess who it is?
other posts you might enjoy...
5 Responses to “a savory morning”
- a refreshing treat|ChiaSeedMe | My Healthy Living Blog with a Sprinkle of Chia Seeds - [...] woke up this morning to rain and thunder outside, and it was so lovely. Like I mentioned before, I ...
- the best surprise|Chia Seed Me - [...] on my list of favorite foods. I especially love how versatile it is – you can eat it for ...