It was a sad moment this morning when I discovered this
No more grass:( I’m still deciding which breaks my heart more – the picture above or paying twenty five big ones to restock. hmmm. I’ll have to think about that one. And I’ll have a few days to figure it out since I can only get more in the city, which won’t be until Friday.
I was able to scrape the cannister enough to have one last grass-filled green smoothie.
It’s seriously cold in these parts today – there’s even a chance of snow flurries later on. A girl can only hope!
I do have to admit that green monsters are getting less enticing day by bitter cold day. I have to bundle up tight to be able to enjoy it. It’s so worth every little chill bump, though. I really love mixing up my breakfasts and trying new things, but nothing makes me feel as awake and energized as one of these.
In other news, unfortunately I do not have any baby pics to show you today. We didn’t stay at our friends’ house for long before we had to rush off to have dinner with the Korean couple that I tutor. I didn’t even get to hold her, which I was kind of bummed about…but maybe next time:) It was still fun to get to see her and catch up with our friends for a few minutes – we hadn’t talked to them since they had her, so we got to hear the short version of her birth story and all about how parenting is treating them so far. They were so happy; it was sweet:)
I spent the last part of the afternoon making a crock-pot full of vegetarian chili and some homemade cornbread muffins to take to them. It smelled so good in my kitchen all afternoon – it was all I could do not to snag a bowl!
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, no salt added
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 3/4 can tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ground red pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to crock-pot and mix well. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for at least 2 hours.
This was a very basic recipe, similar to soups/chilies I’ve made before. That’s what’s so grand about it though…it’s so easy to make and it warms you from the inside out.
And you can’t have chili on a cold night without cornbread muffins. I found this vegan version here, and I didn’t change much about it, just a few minor tweaks. It was pretty good, but next time I think I would tweak it some more….maybe add a bit more sweetener, like some agave or something? I’d also like to try using part spelt/whole wheat flour.
While this muffin was a tad bland on it’s own, it was delicious with Earth Balance spread on it. I didn’t eat any chili since we were taking it to our friends, but I’m sure this would also be awesome crumbled on top of the chili.
Vegan Corn Muffins
- 3 tsp egg replacer
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 12 muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine egg replacer and 1/4 cup water. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture, olive oil and water to dry mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tin with batter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Slather with Earth Balance or enjoy crumbled over a hot bowl of chili.
Dinner with our Korean friends was great last night, too! I look at all of my tutoring students as great friends, and sometimes it seems weird to me that only a matter of months ago, I had never met them! Today is my first day to meet with my new 4th grade Korean student. I don’t get to hang out with kids very often anymore, so I’m really looking forward to it.
Hope you all have a fantastic day!
What is your favorite splurge item that it kills you to spend the money on, but you just can’t bring yourself to not buy it?