I feel like I’ve let so much of this pregnancy go by without documenting it; the main reason being that I’ve just been living it. Whether sick on the couch (months 1-4) or working on the nursery, starting registries and researching everything under the sun (months 5-6), I’ve been so busy just staying up with the day-to-day that I haven’t had time to write a lot. Of course there’s a piece of me that is a bit sad about this…though I can’t imagine ever forgetting the reality and the magic of the last 6.5 months anyway.
Regardless, it has been the craziest time of things I never imagined would happen and things I totally expected (but could have never prepared for). And of course just mundane, run-of-the-mill occurrences.
- dressing the bump has been much more challenging than I imagined! Who are these people that can wear their regular pants with a band through month 6, 7 and 8?? While most days it is fun to find creative things to wear, I don’t have any pants!! I’ve never been able to really find maternity pants that I like and that are not super expensive. I have a couple pairs of maternity jeans, but obviously I can’t wear jeans to work, so….
- I will never, ever get over feeling these babies inside me. Whether it feels like they’re punching me from the inside or just moving up, creating a huge lump in one area of my stomach, I get giddy everytime. It’s so funny to me. It’s like they’re saying “hi, mama! we’re still in here!”
- having two babies insides hurts! I know this probably sounds crazy, but I never expected pain…at least not until the very end. And I have nothing to compare it to, so maybe if there was just one baby in there it wouldn’t be the same? Rolling over, sitting up, lifting my leg (!)…activities that seem easy create serious pain my stomach. Last week I asked my doctor if it’s normal to have pain and discomfort so much, and he very patiently explained that yes, especially with two in there, it’s going to be a bit painful.
- I feel full, even when I’m hungry! I figured in the last few weeks of pregnancy, things would start getting tight and creating a lack of space for food, but I didn’t know it would happen this early. I feel like in the past I’ve heard people talk about how much pregnant girls eat…but I can barely eat anything, and I start feeling like my stomach is going to explode. That’s the only way I can describe it. It literally feels like my stomach cannot expand any further. Sometimes my eyes deceive me, and I forget that I can’t eat the same sized portions that I used to. But I’m slowly learning to be more aware because it is a rather uncomfortable feeling to think you might just burst wide open. I would see this as a great thing – you know, appetite control – but I seem to still be gaining weight at a steady pace:) hmmmm.
maybe it’s because of these guys?
- nausea is not the only symptom of pregnancy. I don’t think I really thought this, per se…it’s just the only one people really talk about. Oh, there are so many others, which I think are even more prevalent, that no one ever talks about! Or maybe I’ve just talked to the right people. Heartburn would be at the top of the list for me….among others I’d rather not discuss…
There is a lot more I could add here, but these are the main ones off the top of my head. Overall, this has been the best experience of my life by far…the good and the challenging. I already have this conflicting feeling of wanting to meet baby boy and girl, but also wanting them to stay in there so this doesn’t have to end. I’m sure those of you who have been pregnant before are thinking “just give it another several weeks.” And you might be right…we’ll see:)